Bloomington, IN 47405
October 9, 2019
Suits "R" Us
1234 Fashion Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60616
Dear Ms. Tailor,
I am excited to submit my application for the merchandise analyst internship at Suits “R” Us. I eagerly applied after discovering the position on my university's job portal, immediately recognizing a listing for one of the best retail providers in Chicago. As an apparel merchandising major at Indiana University, I would like to apply my knowledge of the retail industry and hands-on experiences to this internship. I developed analytical skills and a passion for teamwork in my coursework and work experience, and feel like I would be a great fit for your company.
In my coursework, I investigated marketplace factors such as trends, climates, and locations through research and benchmarking. I collaborated on a team to present case studies involving merchandise planning and assortment decisions. During these experiences, I developed skills in collaboration and research, and I hope to continue strengthening these skills through this internship. My current work as an assessment assistant at the Indiana University Career Development Center provides many opportunities to sharpen my data analysis skills. I design surveys, analyze quantitative and qualitative data, and write reports. By using technology to collect and analyze data, I am prepared to look for trends and patterns to make informed decisions regarding assortment. Additionally, working at the Career Development Center inspired me to specifically begin my career in a retail organization providing practically priced, professional clothing, like Suits “R” Us. Finding modern professional attire that is made with quality and fits well can make all the difference in a student’s self-image.
I am confident that my classwork and work experience have prepared me to take the next step in my professional development. I am looking forward to learning more about the position. If you have any questions, please contact me at 555-555-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Herman B Wells
A cover letter allows you to express your interest and enthusiam in the position and the organization. It also:
- highlights skills or experiences that are especially relevant to the position
- demonstrates your ability to communicate in writing
- strengthens your chances of securing an interview by showing the employer your personality and potential
- Do not just restate your resume, elaborate on relevant skills and experiences
- Save as a PDF
- Include your name in the document title (Lastname_Firstname.PDF)
- Use block formatting: left-aligned text with double spaces between sections. This is the default format in Microsoft Word
- You may use the header from your resume
- Include a handwritten (or electronically scanned) signature in your closing